3/06/2006

Reverse Benefits

Technorati Tags:

Opening quote: "Good teaching is good teaching regardless of format of delivery." I should get that one tattoed on my forehead. Or at least printed in my office. :-) That may be a new sig.

Which is right?
"Content oriented courses work online; discussion oriented courses don't."
"Discussion oriented courses work online; content oriented courses don't."

WHat do we think on these topics? More importantly, WHY?

Faculty will find a way to make their way of teaching work online.

There is a great list of resources that are part of the handout. I'll see if I can link here later. Editing posts is great. Wish I could do that with comments.

Important view: If we can separate the teaching from the context, we'll be in better shape to go either face-to-face or online. that is so key, for teaching either online or face-to-face.

He's describing a social constructivist, learner-oriented teacher who becomes more learner-centered in the f2f classroom as a result of online interaction. Maybe this means that as we begin to teach online, we become more so...that is, more like we are than we were before? And is that a good thing?

If it ain't broke, improve it!!! That was my first boss, Dr. Tony Whitmore,'s view. God rest his soul. How many of us really live by this? (anonymous comments encouraged here!).

2 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, March 06, 2006, Blogger SkyDaddy said...

I'd like to get to the point where we don't talk about "e-learning" or "distance learning" but just, "learning."

Teaching and learning are essentially the same regardless of medium, so long as the medium is suited to the topic (e.g., it's hard to teach a person how to land an airplane by email.)

ANY knowledge delivery/construction medium - a wiki or a campfire - is simply a set of capabilities and constraints. Most of the selection decision revolves around logistics, not pedagogy.

"If it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'!" --Red Green

 
At 8:20 AM, March 07, 2006, Blogger Laura said...

I'm glad you mentioned that, Corrie. I team-taught a clas that was "broke" last semester. It was certainly different in a lot of ways: it had a service-learning element; it had a digital portfolio element, and there was a healthy helping of group work. Students hated it. By the end of the class, my co-teacher and I weren't wild about it either. My catching pneumonia at the end of it didn't help matters either.

But, with a few months of reflection (and recovery), there are a lot of elements that worked well, adn elements that we can grow on for the next time. It was a learning experience for us all, and I think it will be much more smooth the next time.

The only characterization that I can come up with is that, since it was such a major redesign, we were teaching on the edge. Sometimes, when you're on the edge, you fall off. We just need to make sure that we jump back up and not fall off in the same place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home